more to come…

July 26, 2012

I have been in the process of having a client’s home photographed.  I am really bad at having homes and spaces that I have worked on photographed by a professional.  For some reason it seems like a far more daunting task than the actual working on the space.

It’s a forever impression captured in stillness that represents my self expression.  There’s a lot of pressure to get it right.

I still have to get a few more shots in this home, but here’s a little teaser.

photo by Adrienne Cohen Isom



July 21, 2012

When I worked for Vitra they came out with this product called Algue.  I loved it and wanted to find an opportunity to use it.

Then I forgot about it.

I have been looking for something to put on the wall above a client’s dining table for months with no luck.  The objects that I have found have been out of budget, and even more challenging, my client didn’t want anything to cover the grasscloth that we had installed on that wall.

So I have been looking for something with presence, that is interesting and has a light airy quality that allows the shimmery grasscloth to shine.

I was at Dwell on Design in June and it hit me.  I walked past a display with some poorly executed Algue in it and I knew that it was perfect.

I told my client about it and we ordered it right away.

We ordered 2 boxes of the product, each box includes 25 approx. 12″ x 10″ pieces.  My client and I spent a day last week assembling the Algue ourselves and are quiet proud of the result.

What do you think?

We started assembling on the dining table.  This is 4 pieces of Algue snapped together with little pegs that are provided.

We kept holding it up to the wall to see how we liked it.

We realized that in order to keep adding on to it we would need to mount the piece to the wall.  It was becoming unruly to move it from the table to the wall.

In this image the algue sculpture is nearly done, we added a few more on the right side and decided to walk away for the day to live with it and see if we wanted to add more.  When we know its complete, I’ll share a few pics of it in the space.

Back in February I styled 3 different video spots for Valspar Paint.  The first was with Molly Sims, the second with Lauren Conrad and the third with Padma Lakshmi.

Every time you view and share one of these videos, Valspar will donate $1 to Habitat for Humanity.

Have a look, let me know what you think and PLEASE SHARE!!!  You can view all 3 and find out your perfect pallet at the Valspar facebook page.

Due to the fact that this cabinet I am having built is nearly 8 feet long, we determined that it will need a center support.

Not thrilled, but necessary.  While discussing the best way to support the center something got lost in translation and my builder did the exact opposite of what I asked him to do.

I found this out in a picture text message late Friday afternoon, a fabulous way to start my weekend.  My simple cabinet all of a sudden looked like 2 little cabinets fused together.

I ran downtown early Tuesday to have a look and figure out the best solution.  Luckily the problem is easily solved by cutting back the center support by 3 inches and then enlarging the 2 center drawer fronts by 1/2 and inch.

Otherwise, I am happy with how the piece is coming along.  I dropped off the hardware when I went to visit as well and am very excited to see the finished product!

Here it is with the center support, not what I envisioned.  Next post it will be fixed and ready for the wallpaper!

The center support and leg are being cut back 3 inches (the thickness of the top) so that they are recessed and less prominent.  The drawer faces are being re-made 1/2 inch longer.

 Here is the pull, 10 inch polished nickel.  Sleek and shiny!

So pretty!

I went down to check on the cabinet that I am having made.  It is coming along and there were a couple of details that I wanted to discuss and check on.

Overall I am really pleased with the way that this piece is going to look.  Having never covered such a large piece in wallpaper before, this is a bit of a risk for me.  I hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head!

I brought the paper to the builder’s shop and unrolled it on the top surface of the cabinet. I needed a little instant gratification, and I wanted to make sure the pattern was going to sit the way that I had envisioned.  Very exciting.

Here’s a few pics…

Here is the basic frame of the cabinet.  No drawers have been installed, and neither has the center support.

The pattern on the paper is sitting perfectly center on the top of the cabinet.  I am very pleased, this cabinet is going to be gorgy!

Here’s a little detail with an idea of what the center support will look like.  I go to pick up the pulls for the drawers tomorrow…


June 5, 2012

This is a room I just had wallpapered in a Knoll vinyl paper.

Pictures by a real photographer to come…

Please stand by.

I am having a cabinet made for a client and it is going to be wallpapered.  I thought it would be fun to share the process with you from start to finish.

Here is a sketch of the cabinet being made, a sample of the wallpaper that will be applied and a picture of the room where it will sit when it is complete.

Look for images of the cabinet in process next…

The cabinet will be just shy of 96 inches long and will be made of MDF.  It doesn’t need to be pretty, just a smooth surface for the paper.

The paper is from Cole & Sons geometrics line.

The cabinet will sit against the black wall in the background, just beyond the 72 inch round vintage walnut dining table.  The light fixture is being swapped for a spectacular off white David Weeks masterpiece.  The living room in the foreground is in progress as well…